Water absorbed, cooked and out like a ripe banana.
– Dr. Sunil Joshi
Hell yeah, another amazing food find. This is a riff on a Paleo “dessert” recipe I found on the web a year ago, and finally got around to making last week. These treats have a trace amount of sugar, only the fructose from the strawberries, but have tons of added benefits.
Basically, anything with coconut is automatically okay in my book.
Coconut oil has come a long way over the past decade. No longer viewed as a diabolical saturated fat, rather, coconut oil has wowed the public and is now praised as a “superfood”.
Studies have found that Coconut oil-
- Contains an astounding amount of beneficial fatty acids- including medium chain triglycerides (MCT), which have been proven to help the noggin, namely in issues such as Alzheimers and epilepsy.
- The MCTs in coconut oil are said to improve 24 hour energy expenditure by 5%, potentially leading to substantial weight loss over the long term.
- The fatty acids found in coconut oil are helpful in killing inimical pathogens, and may even prevent infections. I’m not saying to ditch the malaria shot when you travel overseas, but perhaps coconut oil can be your backup.
- Thanks to it’s bang up number of fatty acids, coconut oil can significantly reduce the appetite, thus affecting overall body weight and weight management over time.
Lightening Fast Ayurvedic Standpoint-
Coconut oil is cooling, great for those with fiery constitutions.
Great oil choice in the summer, externally and internally.
Oil is always a good thing, inside and out, so get your lube on.
These treats will help create an impressive bowel movement, whether you are looking for that or not. Senna, step aside.
Behold, The Strawberry Coconut Magical Pooping Bars-
- ½ cup of coconut oil
- ½ cup of coconut butter
- 2 T of powdered, freeze dried strawberries
- 2 T shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 2T of grated raw chocolate- Optional (I love Not Your Sugar Mama’s Pure & Simple)
DIY Strawberry Powder-
Place a handful of freeze dried strawberries in a food processor. Process until a fine powder is created, measure out 2 Tablespoons.
You can definitely add more than 2 T to the bites, I ended up adding dried strawberries slices on top, which made it taste like that Astronaut Ice Cream you beg your parents to purchase at the Museum of Science and Industry.
DIY Coconut Butter-
Generally a small bag of dried, unsweetened coconut is enough to create ½ cup of coconut butter. Place the shredded coconut in the food processor, fitted with the s blade. Process for a few minutes, scraping down the sides as needed. Eventually you will have a creamy, intoxicatingly delicious butter.
- In a small saucepan, over low heat, melt the coconut oil and coconut butter. Once melted and homogenized, remove from heat.
- Add the strawberry powder. Gently whisk the strawberry powder into the coconut oil/butter mixture. Sprinkle in the 2 T of shredded coconut and integrate.
- Transfer this pale pink magic to a glass measuring cup with a spout. Options- Pour into a silicone ice cube molds and place in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours, or until firm. Or, simply pour into a glass storage container, electing a size that fits the thickness you want. You will have a little over a cup of strawberry coconut mix.
- Allow the mixture to cool slightly before adding the grated chocolate on top.
- Remove the strawberry coconut bites from the molds, or leave in their glass container, and store in the fridge.
I’m not entirely sure if it is necessary to keep these treats refrigerated. Coconut oil and butter are both okay left on the shelf. I feel these would be great travel foods, in lieu of smooth move tea.
Cheers to monumental poops!