Let’s hear it for Thanksgiving! As you can probably tell, I’m a fan. A holiday that is focused around feasting, celebrating gratitude, community and love, oh yes. With all the merriment comes plenty of opportunities to over indulge. From mounds of buttery mashed potatoes, decadent turkey, tart cranberries, herby stuffing, pumpkin pie and more, the digestive system can take quite a hit. To prep for this culinary affair, the staff with the Kripalu School of Ayurveda (KSA) like to come prepared with a secret weapon, agni nectar.
Agni is your digestive fire, something that needs to be tended and lauded in order for proper digestion, assimilation and optimal health. Agni nectar is an ambrosial tonic one can consume pre-gorge to help stoke the digestive fire. Composed of ginger, lemon and honey, this trifecta serves as a mini, delicious, flame thrower on the agni. KSA highly recommends you whip up a batch of this prior to hitting your loved one’s homes. Share the wealth, about 20 minutes prior to eating down a shot of agni nectar and no doubt you will digest with more ease and grace.
• 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
• 1/2 cup raw honey
• 1/4 cup freshly chopped ginger
• 1/4 cup water
- Mix the lemon juice and honey together in a Mason jar or a small bowl with a lid.
- In a blender, or food processor, pulse ginger and water into a fine pulp.
- Strain ginger/water mixture through a fine mesh strainer into the honey and lemon mixture. Mix well.
- Take 1 ounce before meals as a digestive aid. Store nectar in the refrigerator.